Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 14:37:39 -0400
From:      Raoul Schroeder <memphis_ms@gmx.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Connections to ports > 1024

Hello everyone,

thanks to all the ongoing discussions in this group I am learning a lot
about securing my freebsd box.
When looking through my daily security logs, I see the typical attempts
to connect to port 21, which I am rapidly getting used to. Along with
that I see attempts to connect with TCP on port 53 (I assume to break a
DNS server, like BIND?) - not that I have a DNS running on my systems.
What puzzles me more though is that more and more often I see connection
attempts to ports > 1024, like 8000, or 1080.
So, just because I am curious, are these people scanning for Trojans?
Should I just ignore it - the connections are dropped anyway - or is
there something more useful to do?

Thanks,

Raoul