Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 07:47:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Sam Pigg <sam@redbacknetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tyan S1836DLUAN >512Mb problems

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Sam Pigg wrote:

> Trying to use 1 gig of memory on a tyan S1836DLUAN (dual 450 PII's)
> running 3.0-RELEASE, keep having problems with the system freezing up,
> rebooting, compiles failing due to signal 11's etc. If I decrease the
> memory to 512 megs (I'm using those weird micron 256meg simms btw)
> everything works fine. Tyan claims this motherboard can support up to
> '1GB SPD SDRAM or SDRAM+ECC in addition to the new 100MHz
> SDRAMs'
>
> This motherboard uses the 440GX chipset, but another system with
> a tyan S1832DL (440BX chipset) suffers from the same symptoms when
> >512 megs of ram are installed.

Trying to locate memory problems can really be misleading.  You aren't
sure yet that this isn't a memory problem, I think, and you have to be,
before you go to blaming the board.

How about swapping out the 512M you have installed now with the 512 you
took out, and run that for a little while?  It's *possible* you're
absolutely right about the board, but I don't think anyone's going to
trust that until you've covered the (logically required) bases.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).