Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:30:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
Cc:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MIB support for network devices in FreeBSD?

Andy Sparrow wrote:
> But these stats don't seem to be collected for at least some network card
> drivers, presumably because those drivers aren't collecting those stats, e.g.
> they don't #include <net/if_mib.h>, and thus don't allocate a mib structure or
> increment any counters in that structure.
>
> I can confirm that it definately doesn't work for the 'wi' and 'lo' drivers...
>
> However, it definately seems to work for the xl driver...

Benchmark the driver.

If it's fast, it doesn't collect the statistics.

Just like "WITNESS": if your machine is fast, "WITNESS" is disabled.

8-).

Bascially, most of these statistics are "manager fluff" (as opposed
to "seat cushion fluuf" or "pocket fluff").

What you want is statistics that are managed universally; see
"netstat -ibdt" for the usefult statistics kept per interface.

-- Terry