Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:00:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        vam@recruiter.on.ca (Vic Metcalfe)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving my web

Vic Metcalfe is responsible for:
> Hi,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 2.1.0 as our primary Internet gateway.  Most of the
> other machines on the lan are Win95/NT plus one Linux box.  I am running
> our web site with Apache on the FreeBSD box.  I would like to move it to
> AOLServer though, which doesn't work with FreeBSD.  It uses the close()
  ^^^^^^^^^What is this?          FreeBSD most certainly has this ^^^^^^^
> call which I don't believe is supported under FreeBSD.  Many users access
> our web page with http://recruiter.on.ca instead of
> http://www.recruiter.on.ca, so I can't simply update the DNS to make the
> change.
>
> I thought it might be possible to have recruiter.on.ca (FreeBSD) route
> all traffic to port 80 through to mirromir.recruiter.on.ca (Linux).  Am I
> dreaming, or are such things possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Vic.

Such things are possible although I'd try to discourage your
users from using http://recruiter.on.ca because of exactly
the problem you are now facing.  I'm not quite sure how to
discourage them, but installing a packet forwarder of any
sort certainly won't get them to stop using http://recruiter.on.ca
instead of http://www.recruiter.on.ca.  I'd recommend
keeping Apache on recruiter and using a redirect in a conf.
file or .htaccess file to redirect http clients away from
recruiter.  Most clients don't even notify the user when
this happens--they just change the URL and try again.  I'll
send you a .htaccess file I use to do this.