Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:46:09 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Jeff Hertig" <jhertig@cytranz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel ERROR

> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di le0
> No such device: le0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> [continues for some more devices]

This is the userconfig script being run.  Apparently, at some point
during your system's life, you used the interactive userconfig
interface to configure your hardware (probably when you first
installed it).  Those settings are saved in /boot/kernel.conf.  You
just need to edit it and remove all references to hardware you don't
have (or just delete it, if you don't need anything in it).  These
didn't appear when you booted the generic kernel because support for
these devices was compiled in, so it wasn't an error to try to
configure them.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org