Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:43:34 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        James <nepturn@ymail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing details

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:51:59 +0100 (BST), James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am absolutely new to FreeBSD and would like a simple 'by the hand'
> explanation of how to install and use FreeBSD on a Pc. I tried to
> follow the info from its website but explanations seem too cryptic
> for me to understand properly.

It would be a good idea if you'd mention _what exactly_ is
giving you troubles (by reference or quote). Traditionally
the FreeBSD documentation is well suited for newbies. Things
like terminology that might look "strange" can easily be
determined by a google search.

Your primary instructions should be:

Chapter 2 _or_ 3 of The FreeBSD Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall.html

This depends on the version you're going to install.

Also check out the FAQ which deals with problems you might
encounter.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

There's also a Wiki which might be helpful:

http://www.freebsdwiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

You are of course free to ask specific questions on one
of the FreeBSD mailing lists. There's some advice on how
to get the best results from using them:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/

The more detailed and precise your questions are, the
more you will be able to learn from the answers.

> I'd like to try it on a empty partition of my hard drive,
> alternatively a memory stick/CD/DVD will also do.

Installing to USB sticks encourages you to pay more attention
to configuration details due to technical reasons (regarding
the media). Creation and installation of live systems to CD
or DVD is also possible.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany