Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:39:16 -0700
From:      "Andrew Kinney" <andykinney@advantagecom.net>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic during nfs operations in 4.8S on Dell 2650

On 12 Aug 2003, at 9:44, Mark Powell wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Andrew Kinney wrote:
>
> > On 8 Aug 2003, at 11:52, Mark Powell wrote:
> >
> > > #6  0xc0312ea3 in generic_bzero ()
> >
> > FWIW, I think this is where the problem occurred.  Probably tried to
> > zero a page that didn't exist because of a failed KVA allocation.
> >
> > We had several panics on one of our 4GB machines at the same
> > point.  Our solution was to increase the KVA space to 2GB from
> > 1GB and rebuild the whole world with the new KVA setting.  The
> > panics disappeared.
>
> Yep, that was it. Well I upped KVA_PAGES from the default of 260 (in
> LINT?) to 384 and rebuilt the kernel. Sysctl shows it now has plenty
> to spare when running the rsyncs.
>   Why did you have to rebuild world when changing this and not just
>   the
> kernel?

Well, it's been awhile since I did this, but it seems like we were
having some trouble with some applications or system utilities.  It
could have just been that we had some stuff out of synch on that
system since it had been upgraded from 4.5-RELEASE to 4.7-
RELEASE and then to 4.8-RELEASE.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and