Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:19:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100BASE-TX hubs

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Doug Rabson wrote:

> I was thinking of building a small 100BASE-TX network at home to try and
> stress-test our NFS code and also investigate its performance.  It seems

> Are there any suppliers of low cost 100Mbps ethernet hubs out there
> (preferably with a UK distributor)?  Alternatively, can I avoid a hub

Yeah!! Matrox (the same guys who make the smokin' Millenium video card)
just released an entire product line under the name of "Matrox Networks".
I saw the stuff at Comdex in Toronto in late june, and it seemed pretty
amazing.. they were streaming 10 feeds of full-motion video.

The most interesting product is a 4 port "multiport NIC" that is a PCI
card with 4 100BaseTX ports. Very cool. For single server type
environments it's the neatest thing I've seen in the NIC arena for quite
a while. Just stick one of those in a server, and you can hang 4 clients
off with no hub. And the card is only about $1000 canadian (list -
probably way cheaper on the street).

Matrox is also making hubs with a PCI back-plane and all, which are also
very cheap -- list of about $2000 for a 12-port.

The product line is called 'Shark' I think. You can find more info at
www.matrox.com (or www.matrox.ca).

The multiport NIC comes with drivers for NT, Netware, OS/2, but not
Unixes. Matrox is usually quite nice to develpers though, so they might
give some specs to someone that was interested in doing a FreeBSD driver.

cya,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch