Date:      12 Jun 1996 01:55:31 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird transfer rates

I have three machines, ux1, admin, and news, all on the same
ethernet. Ux1 is running 2.1-RELEASE and is our shell account
server; it also runs a web server (wn). Admin is used for general
administrative functions and also serves as a mail gateway. News
is for our news machine. Admin and news are our primary and
secondary nameservers.  Ux1 and news are running 2.1-release;
admin is running the first 2.1-stable. None of these machines are
horribly loaded. (Disk rates are reasonable and load averages
rarely above 2.)

Transfers between ux1 and admin are normal.
Transfers between news and admin are normal.
FTP *from* ux1 to news is normal.
FTP *to* ux1 from news is slow, like <10k/sec.

The question is: since it isn't a matter of load, where should I
begin looking to find the problem?