Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:35:43 -0700
From:      "George W. Dinolt" <gdinolt@pacbell.net>
To:        bsdx@looksharp.net
Cc:        ade@FreeBSD.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant get sane port to build

aDe Wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 07:20:01PM -0400, Adam wrote:
>> Hello, I have tried this on 5-current just past SMPng as well as a fresh
>> reinstall of the computer today with 4.1-release upgraded to 4.1.1-stable
>> with mergemaster and all new ports.  I still get the compile bomb on
>> sane, logfile attached.  Curious as to why the package building logs on
>> bento only show xsane broken but not sane, which it depends on and
>> actually does seem broken.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
>>
>> [snip]

>> cc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include -I../include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/glib12 -
>> I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include -D_GNU_SOURCE -DPATH_SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/usr/local/etc/sane.d          -DP
>> ATH_SANE_DATA_DIR=/usr/local/share        -DV_MAJOR=1 -DV_MINOR=0 -O -pipe -W -Wall -DSCSIBUFFERSIZE=131072 xscanimage.c
>> xscanimage.c:63: syntax error before `GParam'
>> xscanimage.c:66: syntax error before `PLUG_IN_INFO'

>That looks very much like you've got a version of glib/gtk < 1.2.8

>I've just rebuilt the port here on my RELENG_4 box (9/28) and it
>builds just fine, just like bento.

I ran into the same problem as Adam. After some investigation I
determined that the problem was that sane implicitly (in it's configure
script) determines whether gimp is available. If the Gimp is available,
the sane configure script set things up so that the compile sane can be
used as a gimp plugin. (This is, of course, good news and bad.) Gimp
version 1.26 changed the names of some variables and types for
interfacing with the Gimp libraries. Apparantly this is in anticipation
of the next major release of the Gimp. The Gimp authors thoughtfully
included a compatibility include file which can be activated by defining
GIMP_ENABLE_COMPAT_CRUFT before including the gimp.h

I activated this by including it in CFLAGS in the Makefile, but this is
clearly a kludge.  A "more correct" approach would be to fix the
variables in the appropriate files. The problem is that one needs to
"know" which version of Gimp one is compiling against to determine
whether the changes should be made and I was too lazy to do this.

The same issue arises in xsane, which also will automagically generate a
Gimp plugin.

I suggest that this is eventually a problem which the sane authors will
have to deal with.

I hope this helps.

George Dinolt