Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:34:20 +0400
From:      Vladik Kozin <epbox@yandex.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA ethernet NE2000 compatible card problem

Hi.
I'm facing the following problem with my ethernet pccard. I installed FBS=
D 4.8=20
on my ThinkPad 570 via ftp using the above mentioned ethernet card (using=
=20
ed(4) driver). No problems occured. So now I have a 4.8 box installed. Bu=
t=20
after I reboot and started my new FBSD box the same ethernet device didn'=
t=20
seem to work anymore:
>ed1: device timeout

Here what man 4 ed sais:

"ed%d: device timeout"=20
Indicates that an expected transmitter interrupt didn't occur. Usually ca=
used =09=09=09=09   =20
by an interrupt conflict with another card on the ISA bus. This condition=
 =09
could also be caused if the kernel is configured for a different IRQ chan=
nel=20
than the one the card is actually using. If that is the case, you will ha=
ve=20
to either reconfigure the card using a DOS utility or set the jumpers on =
the=20
card appropriately.

But it worked fine while the installation process! I've no idea what coul=
d=20
have happened. Maybe this is a sort of IRQ problem, but AFAIK the newly=20
installed box should use the same kernel as've been used while istalling =
the=20
system. I don't know where to look for IRQs bindings my FBSD box uses rig=
ht=20
now. Unfortunately, I forgot to install kernel srcs, so now I can't even=20
recompile the kernel.=20
Here is a more precise information:
>dmesg
config> en ed0
config> po ed0 0x280
config> ir ed0 10
config> iom ed0 0xd8000
config> f ed0 0
=2E..
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccard: card removed, slot 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ed1: at port ........ irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
ed1: address ..........., type NE2000 (16bit)
ed1: device timeout
=2E..
ed1: device timeout

I wonder what those commands in /boot/kernel.conf mean (config> strings i=
n=20
dmesg)?

>less /etc/rc.conf | grep pccard
pccard_enable=3D"yes"
pccard_ifconfig=3D"DHCP"
pccard_mem=3D"defalt"
pccardd_flags=3D" -i 3"

Have no idea, how to solve this problem :(=20