Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 00:46:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound on AS500

I'm trying to get sound working under -current on my home machine
(AS500/266).  This machine has an Intel 82375EB PCI-EISA bridge (with
no actual slots), behind which sit the integrated ISA peripherials and
an MSS card in a tiny little non-standard slot.  According to the ECU,
the MSS board uses the following resources:

ports:	0x530-0x537, 0x388-0x38b
DMA channels: 0 & 1
IRQ: 2(9) Edge-triggered

I've added PCM to my kernel config file like this:

	device pcm0 at isa? port ? irq 9 drq 0 flags 0x11

The pcm driver probes OK, but fails to attach because the
resource_list_find() in isa_alloc_resource() at around line 195 of
alpha/isa/isa.c comes up null when attempting to alloc the first DMA
channel.

I hacked dev/pcm/isa/mss.c to ask for dma channel 0 like this:
	mss->drq1 = bus_alloc_resource(dev, SYS_RES_DRQ, &mss->drq1_rid,0, 0,1, RF_ACTIVE);

This at least allows the pcm driver to attach.  However, when I
attempt to play an mp3, amp gets stuck in pcmwr & I never see any
interrupts on irq9.

For what its worth, this is what its attaching as:

	pcm0: <CS4231> at port 0x530-0x537,0x538-0x539 irq 9 flags 0xa211 on isa0
	pcm0: interrupting at ISA irq 9

If I leave the source alone & tell the ECU that the card should use
dma channel 3 & tell FreeBSD the same thing, I get the same
results. There are jumpers on the card, but I have no idea what they
do.  I cannot find any documentation on this.

I was wondering if anybody might have any suggestons..?

Thanks,

Drew