Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:28:42 +0100
From:      Gary Hall <gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Internal networking problem

We have a FreeBSD machine which is used as an Intranet Server. We also
have a number of other machines that connect to this via TCP/IP. We have
another machine that acts as a router which is not a FreeBSD machine.

When we try to connect to the FreeBSD machine internally via FTP or
rlogin, the FreeBSD machine tries to connect to the Internet via our
router. Our router then tries to dial up onto the Internet via ISDN.
Until the connection is made, it refuses to accept any internal
connections.

All our internal machines are set up with the IP address 192.9.200.xxx.
The gateway setting for the FreeBSD machine is set to the correct IP
address of the gateway machine and the DNS setting is set to the DNS
setting of our ISP. We wondered if this was the problem - should we have
an internal DNS server or have we missed something elementary ?

Apologies for the apparent dim-ness of this question as we are new to
Unix / FreeBSD but we are willing to learn.

Gary Hall