Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:57:33 +0100
From:      John <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building "extra" kernels in stable/11...?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016, at 14:47, David Wolfskill wrote:

> Today, as part of my gradual ramp-up toward getting readyto test
> stable/11 on more than just the above build machine and my laptop, I
> figured I'd start building those extra kernels (along with GENERIC) when
> the build machine updated its stable/11.
>
> Accordingly, I appended
>
> KERNCONF?=GENERIC ALBERT BATS
>
> to /etc/src.conf -- but the only kernel even attempted was GENERIC.  In
> reviewing the typescript (as I do all builds within script(1)), there
> was no indication that the kernel-building process had any awareness
> that anything other than GENERIC was wanted.
>
> Have I managed to overlook something obvious (again)?

Hi,
I noticed this stopped working a couple of months ago. I don't put it in
src.conf though - mine goes in make.conf like this:

KERNCONF=CUSTOMKERNEL1 GENERIC

which means that both kernels would be built and installed with no
special parameters to the buildkernel and installkernel commands. Less
typing!

I first noticed it when after building and installing a new world, the
kernel came up with the warning that WITNESS was enabled (it's disabled
in the custom kernel). So I had to build and install another kernel with
the KERNCONF=CUSTOMKERNEL1 parameter. The problem happened at around the
time I noticed GENERIC-NODEBUG appearing in /sys/amd64/conf - though
this might be entirely coincidental.

This was a month or so ago. I'll re-enable KERNCONF= in my make.conf,
run another build and get back to you.

--
  John
  tech-lists@zyxst.net