Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 17:01:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Reformatting external harddrive

--------------enig5A3D8B3BB51123E2D769C81D

Daniel Underwood wrote:
> After unsuccessfully trying to reformat my external harddrive on my
> linux machine, I'm trying to reformat the disk in FreeBSD.  Frankly, I
> just don't know how to do that. Please help me get the disk back to
> working order; I don't need to keep any data that is currently on the
> disk.
>=20
> The command
>=20
> $ /dev/da0

ITYM: fdisk /dev/da0

> gives the following output:
>=20
> ******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=3D38913 heads=3D255 sectors/track=3D63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>=20
> Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=3D38913 heads=3D255 sectors/track=3D63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>=20
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 63, size 625137282 (305242 Meg), flag 80 (active)
> 	beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
> 	end: cyl 0/ head 254/ sector 63
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> <UNUSED>

This says that you have written a partition table onto the drive that
indicates the whole disk is being used for FreeBSD.  That's a good
start if your intention is to use the disk dedicated for FreeBSD.

The way the partition naming scheme works you should now have a /dev/da0s=
1
device file (indicating 'slice 1' or disk 'da0')

In order to make the disk usable with FreeBSD, you need to follow somethi=
ng
like these steps:

   * Use bsdlabel(8) to create BSD partitions on slice1.  To write a=20
     default label:

         # bsdlabel -w /dev/da0s1

     Then to edit the default label and define the partitions you want,

         # bsdlabel -e da0s1

     Edit mode will pop up an editor with the existing BSD partition
     table -- that's vi(1) by default but you can override it by setting =
the
     EDITOR environment variable.

     If your aim is to use this disk as one big filesystem for storing da=
ta
     then creating a 'd' partition covering all the available space would=
 be
     appropriate.  After saving the edited partition table you should now=
 have
     a device file:

         /dev/da0s1d

   * Use newfs(8) to create a filesystem on the drive.  I'd just leave it=
 with
     the default settings unless you know you're going to be using the di=
sk=20
     for unusually large files or unusually many very small files.

         newfs /dev/da0s1d

   * Mount the new filesystem to make it available to FreeBSD.  Add a lin=
e like
     the following to /etc/fstab:

         /dev/da0s1d    /data    ufs    rw    2    2

      Then create the mount point:

        # mkdir -p /data

      and mount the drive:

        # mount /data

      The drive will be remounted automatically on system reboots and is =
expected
      to be permanently present.  If you want to have the disk be removab=
le, then
      read all about amd(8) and feel free to ask again here.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3