Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:28:36 +0200
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sd media attach problems (da/usb related)

I have a multifunction printer (EPSON DX7000 series for what matters)
with an SD/CF reader in it.
FreeBSD 7 correctly recognises the media (creating the entries
/dev/da0 and /dev/da0s1) if the media is inserted before the printer is
powered on (or the USB cable is plugged in), but it doesn't
see the media if i insert it _after_ connecting the USB cable
(or turning on the printer, again).

What happens without media is that /dev/da0 is created when the
USB is connected, but then reading from the device fails and no
events are reported even after inserting the media.

If I do a 'camcontrol rescan 0' then I see the following into syslog:

Oct 24 15:11:00 bsd7 kernel: cam_periph_alloc: attempt to re-allocate valid device pass0 rejected
Oct 24 15:11:00 bsd7 kernel: passasync: Unable to attach new device due to status 0x6: CCB request was invalid
Oct 24 15:11:00 bsd7 kernel: cam_periph_alloc: attempt to re-allocate valid device da0 rejected
Oct 24 15:11:00 bsd7 kernel: daasync: Unable to attach to new device due to status 0x6

and /dev/da0s1 is not created.

/dev/da0 does produce valid output (so e.g. fdisk da0 gives me the
various partitions) but of course i cannot mount it.

Is there any command that i can use to either rescan the entries
in the disk, or (perhaps too crude, though) rescan the usb bus ?

	cheers
	luigi