Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:13:49 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FreeBSD off of CDROM

In message <79090.980396777@winston.osd.bsdi.com> Jordan Hubbard writes:
: You don't even need a disk if you have enough memory.  You can come up
: with an MFS and put everything you need to write on in that (via union
: mount or symlinks or whatever).

At timing solutions we found union mount to be a non-starter.  Too
unstable for long term operations.  symlinks are what we use.  I
actually lied a little in a previous message.  We do have a RW
partition, but we only store application sepcific data on it.

Of course our application doesn't have users who need to change their
passwords....  And even if they did, a simple mount -uw / ; passwd ;
mount -ur / would do the trick.  Can't do that with cdrom :-)

Warner