Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:11:12 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
Subject:   Re: [mail/xmailbopx] Exactly what does "unmaintained" mean?

On 3/31/2014 16:57, A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The port mail/xmailbox is set to be removed soon because it has been
> unmaintained since 2000. In this case, does "unmaintained" refer to just
> the FreeBSD port, or to the software itself? And in either case, is there
> anything that can be done to prevent removal?

I think in this context "unmaintained" means the MAINTAINER has been set
to ports@freebsd.org continuously for years.  I don't think you can
infer upstream hasn't been updated in that time.

To prevent removal, I'd recommend somebody audit the port makefiles,
update to the latest upstream version available, and set the MAINTAINER
value to themselves.

I think it would defeat the intent to simply change MAINTAINER value but
not do anything (and later throw it back on heap untouched).  So
personally I'd like to an effort at renewing a port that hasn't had a
maintainer in over a decade before pulling if off death row....  Just
speaking for myself of course.

John