Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 06:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "Long, Scott" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        'Ben Speirs' <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ESS Maestro 3 and XAnim

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Long, Scott wrote:

:I've never used xanim, but this behaviour doesn't surprise me.  Two things
:here:
:
:1.  Don't forget that there are four channels on the Maestro3 than can be
:used for playback.  /dev/dsp is actaully /dev/dsp0.0, and there is dsp0.1,
:dsp0.2, and dsp0.3 (along with the dspW variants, etc).  I don't think that
:4.x makes these extra /dev nodes by default, so you will have to run
:/dev/MAKEDEV.  Yes, the driver will not unload until all channels have been
:closed.  So if you get in a pinch, use another channel.

Looking at MAKEDEV, it doesn't appear to know anything about dsp beyond
dspX.

Here's a directory listing.

9:36am ghast  /dev %ls -la dsp*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         4 Jun  4 09:34 dsp -> dsp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   3 Jun  4 09:34 dsp0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         5 Jun  4 09:34 dspW -> dspW0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   5 Jun  4 09:34 dspW0

I used 'MAKEDEV snd0' just as I always have to create the device node
entries.

There's no dsp manpage entry, and I'm not going to try and guess at
major/minor numbers to throw at mknod by hand.  I don't know where the
source lists the maj/min numbers, and couldn't find them in dsp.[c|h] or
in sound.h.  Is this documented anywhere?

:2.  There seems to be an issue where if 'device pcm' is compiled into the
:kernel and you load snd_maestro3, it will erroneously load snd_pcm.  Once
:this has happened, any attempts to unload snd_pcm will result in a panic.
:The workaround is to remove 'device pcm' from your kernel.

Removed the pcm entry from the config file, did a config -r, and rebuilt.
The kernel still loads snd_pcm, but I can unload it without a panic now.
I cannot begin to guess what the difference is.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"