Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:17:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Subject:   bin/40381: xargs(1) is wrong about standards compliance

>Number:         40381
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       xargs(1) is wrong about standards compliance
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE

   In the "STANDARDS" section, the manpage xargs(1) says:
   "The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2
   (`POSIX.2'') compliant."

   However, our xargs is not compliant, because the -E and
   -p options are missing (at least), which are required by
   POSIX.1 in IEEE 1003.1-2001 (which is now identical to
   the Open Group Base Specs 6, which is a subset of SUSv3).

   By the way, POSIX.2 is now part of POSIX.1.  Furthermore,
   it doesn't make sense to mention the standard without
   also giving its version (e.g. -2001).

>How-To-Repeat:

   man xargs && scroll down

>Fix:

   I'd suggest to simply remove that sentence from the
   manpage.  It is completely misleading, at best.