Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:43:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, winter@jurai.net, csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user-mode nfs daemon

>    Some of the changes that you are advocating
> were discussed prior to you mentioning them. The decision not to change these
> things was made because of release engineering and other concerns, and not
> because the code was "blessed".

Similar release-engineering damaging changes are going to be
necessary for better SMP and multiplatform support; why not
roll in the changes impacting release engineering then?

> Secondly, some of your ideas are simply wrong in the minds of
> some of the former CSRG people (and others), and we either
> agree with these CSRG people or we are neutral but desire to
> keep a positive ongoing relationship with them.

I'd like the intellectual liberty to be permitted to address the
areas where you believe I'm wrong.  I'm willing to agree to
disagree, so long as everything is open rather than implied (I
can't agree OR disagree with something of which I have not been
apprised).

As to divergence damage to the positive relationship, FreeBSD
has had a number of much more significant divergences from the
baseline code than any I have suggested.  I don't think they
would act to damage the relationship any more than the SMP or
VM or SYSINIT changes (to give three examples) have done so.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---