Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 18:29:23 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

>> > Hardly.  It only excludes edge cases.  Put the edge a little
>> > further out, and you only exclude cases which are definitely
>> > not edge cases, according to the original definition.
>>
>> This relies on having a reliable litmus test for topicality.  You
>> claim you can do this perfectly, I claim you can't.
>
> No, you claim that I can, but that if I do, it "stifles communication
> into stagnicity"

I also claim that you can't, but I'm unwilling to provide examples.
Your also assert that you can predict the behavior of any arbitrary
group of humanity, and I think this is similarly naive.

> (never been to Stagni City; I hear they have great seafood, up near
> Seattle... ;^)).

Yeah, but they serve the same thing each time you go there... ;)

> In the limit, your argument boils down to a claim that lack of
> atopicality :== stagnation.

In the region of interest, however...it does not.

>> > It wasn't designed, as far as we know.
>>
>> But it is a system or a set of systems. How do you account for this?
>
> That it exists without apparent design?

You claim "the system functions as designed, or it's not a correct
system". Given that nature is a system and given that you can't
yet know who designed it, how can you assume it is correct?

>> > No, you're the one who suggested catering to trolls.
>>
>> Nope, I am suggesting that one can render them irrelevant with a flick
>> of one's finger onto the "next message" key.
>
> So why didn't this work with you and Tim, if you're convinced of
> its value as a success strategy?

It worked for me.

>> > I distinctly recall you suggesting that everyone but the trolls
>> > change their behaviour, in order to deal with trolls.  I can cite
>> > the archives, if your memory has failed you.
>>
>> Go for it.
>
> Do you honestly want a cite, or are you claiming irrelevance?

I claim that this isn't what I suggested, this is what you are
inferring from my suggestions. ;)

>> > It's not arbitrary.  Arbitrary would be if there was no overall
>> > standard for selection.  This most definitely is a standard.
>>
>> This standard is neither correct nor incorrect, therefore it is
>> arbitrary.
>
> It is fixed; therefore it is *not* arbitrary.

What do you mean by "fixed"?

>> > Non-key ones are derivational; they don't need verification if they
>> > are nonaxiomatic, and capable of being derived from axioms.
>>
>> What if the derivation is unsound, but you do not detect this at first
>> glance?
>
> Then someone will point out *why* its unsound,

This is an assumption. You have no guarantee of this, or that someone
will see it.

>> > Well, by all means, let's belittle everything we've seen!  8-).
>>
>> You seem to be good at it, why don't you start? ;)
>
> Personally, I have no interest in resolving the contradictions
> which enable me to dismiss your philosophy as "not self-consistant",

"Belittle" not "resolve". ;)

> since I don't see how doing so would benefit me or the group.  As
> external observers, we can't fix your world view without your
> cooperation.

You assume it is broken.

>> > It does in *professional* practice.  8-).
>>
>> So money dictates your reality?
>
> Why is money required, in your opinion, for someone to be able
> to act in a professional manner?

Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
source of livelihood or as a career".

>> > Majority, unless the majority consensus is to permit the definition
>> > by consensus of cognoscenti.  8-).
>>
>> Then "bad" means "good", "bunk" means "bad", you can't use very
>> many obscure polysyllabic words, and we still have a lot of work
>> to do to ensure that what we are agreeing on is what everyone is
>> really thinking.
>
> That's a problem for the people with the minority view, isn't it?

There's also a problem for people who take refuge in mobs...er the
majority viewpoint. As an obvious counterexample, this means you
have to consider Britney Spears a good musician.

> Makes it really hard to proselytize...

You can't approach the Truth from the platform of the Mob.

>> > That's not hand-waving, it's a demand for evidence at near gunpoint.
>> > 8-).
>>
>> Contrary to general intuation, waving a gun isn't going to get me to
>> comply with your demands. ;)
>
> It will, if my demands are a logical XOR of two possible outcomes,
> one of which is achievable by force.  8-).

You have not yet learned the Jedi mind tricks I see. :)

>> Don't even do as I say. Do what yer gonna do. Don't expect me not to
>> comment. Don't take my commments seriously. All truths are false.
>> All falsehoods are true. All sales final. Not responsible for drama. ;)
>
> You forgot your demand to be permitted access to the forum in
> order to be able to comment...

That's not a demand, it's a request. =P

>> > By that same token, neither is a refusal to grow up.
>>
>> If people want to refuse this, there's nothing you nor I can do to
>> force them. Toleration is based on the knowledge that you can handle
>> whatever comes to you, and let others deal with what comes to them.
>> If they ask for help, show them the next message key.
>
> Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "LA LA LA!" at the
> top of yout lungs doesn't make a problem go away.

Just where did I suggest that? This is nothing like what I am
suggesting, which is a quick press of a particular key on your
keyboard. ;)

>> > "Proving" something to me is eminently possible.
>>
>> Nope. I'd have to be someone you respect.
>
> No.  Merely use techniques which I respect.

Still, your respect is involved and not your awareness.

>> > Something is "proven" to me if it is the simplest explanation which
>> > fits all the facts.
>>
>> These are local maxima.
>
> Yes, they are.  And your point is what?  That the correct, but less
> simple, explanation might get lost in the noise?

The complexity of the solution is irrelevant to it's measured
effectiveness.

>> > It's not your time being wasted; why do you care if someone else
>> > wastes their time?  It's theirs to waste.
>>
>> I don't life or death care if they do, but I would prefer to see them
>> not do it.
>
> You've communicated your preference.  What now?

What, indeed? I find it interesting that our banter has produced a
-real- religious debate as a child. I think this is indicative of
the unagreeability of our respective positions. ;)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"If a man does keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is
because he hears a different drummer." - Henry David Thoreau