Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:23:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      sven@berkvens.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/26009: Powerdown IDE disks?

>Number:         26009
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Powerdown IDE disks?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'd like to be able to powerdown (after unmounting all filesystems
perhaps, if that's necessary) one or more IDE harddisks attached
to my system. Currently, this does not seem to be possible in
FreeBSD. apm is not a solution for me, because my BIOS (old) does
not support APM stuff and I want to be able use to machine normally
after a power-down command to the IDE harddrive. I've tried to hack
in support for this feature myself by sending ATA command 0xe6. The
disk powers down, but then FreeBSD hangs, and that's not what I
wanted :-) Of course, this wish is not high-priority at all. If anyone
knows how to create this functionality, I'd greatly appreciate it.