Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 22:54:29 -0400
From:      Steven Lacomis <slacomis@erols.com>
To:        Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! CD-ROM drive not recognized (still more added information enclosed)

Ken Marsh wrote:

> This is my suggested quick fix, there may or may not be a better way..
>
> put your CD-ROM on the primary controller as slave. Be sure to set the
> jumpers on the CD to slave. Then install FreeBSD to the first disk. Once
> you fix the kernel to see the CD on the secondary controller, you can
> install to the second disk. The only problem will be if you don't have
> space on the first disk for FreeBSD, and you don't have anything to back
> up to. If that's the case, you shouldn't be installing FreeBSD without
> your disk(s) backed up anyway.
>
> An alternate way:
>
> make some space on your first disk for the files in /bin,
> /floppies, /src/ssys.??, /manpages, and /docs. (In the DOS partition)
> Then do the install from the dos partition, onto your second drive. This
> will only take a few MB of space, and you gotta have at least that, right?
>
> Ken
>
> On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Steven Lacomis wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 from a Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  I am
> > using an NEC 267 IDE CD-ROM drive.  The CD-ROM drive is not recognized
> > by the FreeBSD Installation program, however, despite using the
> > installation boot disk with IDE CD-ROM support.  It is connected as the
> > only drive on the secondary EIDE channel.  Can I get the CD-ROM
> > drive to be recognized?  If so, how?  I read something about using the
> > -c command at the start of the boot: prompt. If that is relevent then
> > what do I need to type or do to enter the proper configuration settings?
> >
> > Help will be much appreciated,
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> > slacomis@erols.com

I have done a minimal installation of FreeBSD by copying the \dists\bin\
files and \floppies\ files to hard disk C:, and then doing a DOS install
but I do not know how to install the other applications (including
XFree86) on the CD-ROM through a DOS installation.  The only
instructions I could find were for a minimal FreeBSD installation from a
DOS partition.  I tried copying what I could to the DOS partition and
doing an install, but that did not work for me.  I do not quite have
enough disk space to copy the entire contents of the CD-ROM to the C:
DOS partition since a partion large enough requires at least 800 MB free
space because DOS wastes so much space on 32 KB clusters in partitions
of that size.  I tried deleting files that I knew I wasn't interested in
installing and replacing them with the remaining files from the CD-ROM
but apparently the directory structure I used on the DOS partition was
not correct for the FreeBSD installation program (i.e.
C:\FREEBSD\<dirs>\...\*.*).

While I am at it, how do you run X-Windows.  I tried to run it on
another computer (which, by the way, also has an IDE CD-ROM, but from
which I could install FreeBSD) but all I got was a white screen with an
X mouse cursor.  There were no windows, icons, etc. and I could not quit
the program (I had to press reset and allow the kernel to fix everything
since I had not unmounted before rebooting).

Any extra help is indeed appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

--
Steve