Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:31:52 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jail(8) Honeypots

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 07:54 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20000625223549.I9883@speedy.gsinet>, Gerhard Sittig writes:
> >
> > [ ... how to recognize you're jail(8)ed ... ]
>
> Bind a socket at 127.0.0.1 and notice with getsockname() that
> it isn't.
>
> Ping doesn't work.

Yes, that's the lesson I had to learn today. :)  And I couldn't
do networking at all from a jail into the host in 4.0-R,
cvsupping helped against this.  Now I can do "normal" connections
to and fro.

What I'm still missing (and what is hindered by the jail
mechanism in general, I suppose) is to put packet filters in the
jailed environment.  This won't work.  Yet?  Seems I got the
intent wrong and now I'm suffering from disappointed
expectations. :|  Luckily there are other ways to go ... :>

Seems I have to setup the filter in the host environment.  Which
makes me ask:  Do the routes between aliases go through lo0 or
the "real" NIF?  I still have problems reading "netstat -rn"
output.  Since I'm coming from Linux this looks to me like a
routing and arp table mixture and dazes me a little to see
entries for hosts with lo _and_ xl in the device column.

> >This leads to the question:  Was the intent behind the jail(2)
> >mechanism to isolate a process group or was it to fake a
> >machine?  I guess it was the former, but could be turned into
> >the latter.  And I'm sure you will tell me if I'm wrong. :)
>
> The former, and significant amounts of code will have to be
> written to make it the latter.

When *you* say so I have to believe it. :)  I guess providing a
fake machine without sacrifying the real host one has no other
chance than virtualizing every single resource.  This would make
jail(2) another VmWare / Bochs / pcemu / VMS / you name it.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net