Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
Cc:        Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Mark Powell wrote:

>I appreciate the good work Simon and Mike are doing in this area. However,
>I wanted to know what is the current RAID solution of choice for FreeBSD.
>As I'm sure you understand I need a proven solution.

I can definitely appreciate that.  The RAID solution of choice for
FreeBSD appears to be SCSI-SCSI RAID adapters as utilized on
wcarchive.cdrom.com and ftp.freesoftware.org -- the two busiest ftp
archives around and consequently the two busiest disk subsystems around.
Both of these configations utilize the latest Adaptec 78xx based PCI
SCSI controller attached to a SCSI-SCSI RAID adapter.  In the case of
wcarchive it is a Mylex DAC960SXI SCSI-SCSI 6 channel RAID controller,
w/256MB cache.  ftp.freesoftware.org doesn't reveal to us what sort of
SCSI-SCSI RAID controller is in use but I would assume it's the same or
similiar to wcarchive since TeraSolutins, Inc. had a hand in both
systems.  This approach does offer a layer of protection from scsi
controller obsolesences or driver bitrot.  You put a relatively cheap
well supported SCSI controller in your machine and interface it to your
external RAID canister.  That controller can be replaced and upgraded as
necessary while still keeping the same disk subsystem behind it.  It
also allows you to forget about bugs in the raid code or availability of
something like mlxcontrol since it's all handled in hardware.    You can
also attach multiple hosts to the RAID canister, allowing more than one
system to use the same disks.  That can also come in handy if you need
redundant servers but don't want to mirror all of your content.  The
decision all comes down to just how future proof you need to be and how
much money you have to sink into your project.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
bandix@looksharp.net                         Illegitimi non carborundum.