Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:01:19 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Bernhard Valenti <bernhard.valenti@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NVidia Drivers Released !

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 04:46:01PM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
=> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Paul Mather wrote:
=> > >>>>>
=> > (II) Loading extension NV-GLX
=> > (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
=> > Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
=> >  is unresolved!
=> > Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
=> >  is unresolved!
=> > <<<<<
=> >
=> > I don't know yet if this is serious.  It doesn't appear to be right
=> > now.
=>
=> You can't use DRI with the NVIDIA drivers.

Thanks for the info.  I was following the installation instructions in
the README document for FreeBSD, which say:

(sec-03) BASIC CONFIGURATION INSTRUCTIONS

[[...]]

Important is the 'Load "glx"' line, which instructs the X server to load
the NVIDIA GLX XFree86 extension module. The "dri" and "GLcore" lines
often present in auto-generated configuration files are not required, but
shouldn't do any harm.
<<<<<

But, after I saw those errors in my XFree86 startup log file I
commented out the ``Load "dri"'' line in my /etc/X11/XF86Config file,
to be parallel with the actual example config section in the README.
I haven't since restarted X, so I don't know if it has made those
errors go away.

Perhaps the README document distributed with the drivers (and on the
WWW page) should be amended to tell people to remove the ``Load
"dri"'' line to be on the safe side?

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu