Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:45:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RC -- /etc/rc, NFS, & nis_client_enable="NO"

>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:40:21 +1100 (EST)
>From: Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>

>Seems like a good idea to me not to have a message displayed if
>explicitly configured not to do something!

:-}

>If you have `nfs_enable_client="NO"' and if you have nfs mounts in your
>fstab, then this could be a method of delaying those mounts until after
>boot/init time?

After discussions with Dougs Barton & Ambrisko :-), it is my current
understanding that the intent of the "knob" labeled "nfs_enable_client"
is controlling whether or not the nfsiod daemons (which provide a
performance enhancement for NFS client code, but do not actually control
whether or not it actually functions) are fired up (in rc.network).

Thus, it would seem that a name for the knob that currently has the name
"nfs_enable_client", but that more accurately reflects the intended
function would be in order.

In addition, Boug Barton has suggested changes -- other than what I
posted -- that would prevent the (rather misleading) startup message in
the event that there were, in fact, no NFS mounts to do.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915