Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 22:32:03 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com>
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@crab.xinside.com> writes:

>> I have one machine which only has a mono Hercules card in it. Any chance that
>> this would be supported ? Don't mean to throw a monkey-wrench into the works.
>
>We've offered a commercial, supported, QA-tested, Beta program
>thrashed, professional, world class Server for free, explicitly
>for VGA chipsets.  If you think that you can make a better offer, you
>might want to send us your resume.  We're always on the lookout for
>world class talent.

This is fine.  In fact, when I think a bit more, this is great!

But, the proposal is to tie our installation mechanism or perhaps our system
adminstration/setup system to VGA hardware.  For me, and those like me, who
collect raggedy old scraps, and retired PC's, and test FreeBSD on them, or
build special purpose FreeBSD boxes out of them, this means tossing out
half of them because they have EGA or MONO video cards.  Damn shame, and a
total waste.

In short, GUI installation will thrill lots of people, but I have crappy
old hardware that I'd like to keep supported, and I expect that lots of
other people do too.  I've lived with a command line style installation
for a very long time, and would appreciate it if one was retained, even if
it was completely unfriendly, but worked on old hardware.

Stephen, collector of junk.