Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:01:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Tracy <ncrawler@telerama.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: weird SCSI problems...

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.990823095859.28594I-100000@gauntlet.telerama.com> you wrote:
>
> > bt0: <Buslogic Multi-Master SCSI Host Adapter> rev 0x08 int a irq 11 on
> > pci0.11.0
> > bt0: BT-958 FW Rev. 5.07B Ultra Wide SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, 192
> > CCBs
>
> Try dropping down to the 5.06I FW.  You can pick it up from
> ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/flashbios/wpflash.exe
>
> The author of the Linux driver reported problems with 5.07B some time
> back and 5.06I seems to be a stable release.

Humm... So, I gave this firmware change a try.  We are now running the
5.06I firmware.  Unfortunately, I am still having the same problem.
Except now, it is more frequent, and now it usually happens upon bootup.

I've gotten different error messages, but there are all to the effect of:

(da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc55024c0 - timed out
(da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc55024c0 - timed out
(da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc55024c0 - timed out
bt0: No longer in timeout
bt0: No longer in timeout
(da0:bt0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
(da0:bt0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack

This usually happens right after the filesystem checks, although it has
happened as late as when it starts the syslog daemon...  If it let the
machine stay on long enough after these messages, it usually results in
nasty kernel page faults and stuff.

The strangest thing is, the machine will boot some time and get to the
login prompt, and work fine.  I haven't seen it crash once after I got to
a login prompt and logged in and everything.  It just seems to do it on
bootup after the filesystem checks.

I noticed some people talking about the "Motor spin up" jumpers on SCSI
harddrives who were having similar problems.  I was going to try shorting
the "Motor spin enable" jumper and see if that'll make a difference.

I'm also getting ready to try another SCSI card... Unfortunately I don't
have any others that'll support this drive, so I might go and pickup a
2940UW.  Is this the best SCSI card to pickup these days?

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks,
-Chris.