Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:40:45 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of libgmp

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 08:15:29AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Benchmarks, proving that you increased, or at least did not
> > > injure performance with this change?
> >
> > This isn't really relevant.  There are only a couple of things that use it.
> > Namely the secure rpc key generators, the secure diffie hellman rpc key
> > exchange, and telnet SRA key exchange at startup.  None of these use it
> > more than once (or once per connection).
> >
> > telnet is already linked against libcrypto. It should be using
> > that for bignum support instead of libmp.
> >
> > libmp is dead. libcrypto is the interface of choice to use these days,
> > or libgmp.  Nothing in our tree uses libgmp.
>
> We currently can do 600 1024 bit SSL connections a second, and
> expect to double that via interface changes.
>
> So performance _is_ relevent.

I think Peter meant (and explained) that libmp's performance is not
relevant for anything but secure RPC and telnet SRA.  It is not
relevant for SSL connections.

As pointed out in previous messages in this thread, and as hinted
in Peter's message, libmp is dead, and all the programs that used

to use it are - or should be - linked against libcrypto.
As pointed out in previous messages in this thread, and as hinted
in Peter's message, libcrypto does not use libmp.

So, performance is relevant in libcrypto.  Performance is not
relevant in libmp/libgmp.  Replacing libmp/libgmp should not
affect SSL performance in any way.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.