Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:09:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      VEGA <vega@d132-h017.rh.rit.edu>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Steve Friedrich wrote:

> I wonder if anyone subscribed to -questions besides me thinks that the
> 3.0R shouldn't have been made generally available.  It is allowing
> total morons to destroy FreeBSD's reputation due to their incompetence.
>  3.0R SHOULD be only installed by people with a freakin clue.  Not
> total newbies.  It has resulted in a tremendous amount of noise on this
> forum, because these newbies think they should be running the latest
> and greatest.  They aren't reading the release notes or anything else.
> Please don't let them continue.  Make 3.0R available only to those
> willing to certify:
>
> 1. They are NOT using it in a production environment
> 2. They have extensive FreeBSD experience
> 3. They have extensive Unix System Admin experience
> 4. They realize 3.X is not yet supported
> 5. They are not Microsoft agents looking for an opportunity to bash any
> non-Microsoft system
>
> 3.0R is NOT ready for prime time, i.e., it's not ready for newbies.

i have to agree. would i be wrong to assume that it was released only to
appease the masses who would be outraged if it hadnt been released on
october 15th? it seems to me that the release was just rushed, to meet a
pseudo-deadline. it's usable, provided you have experience with problems
that may occur, but newbies should definitly NOT be using 3.0.

just my $0.02