Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:41:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        beef@tht.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bootinst boot.bin

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Lanny Baron wrote:

>  I down loaded the latest of bootinst.exe and boot.bin. I have 3
> hard drives. Drive 0 is windows, Drive 1 is FreeBSD (whole drive) and
> Disk 2 is NT.

You won't be able to boot NT, it's out of reach of the PC BIOS.

>  Even after running from dos and doing the bootinst boot.bin and
> seeing a successful bootmanager loaded. When do ing a cold boot it
> comes up with F1 dos and nothing else. If i hit F5 it says BSD but i
> can't boot into it. I called tech support in California today and
> they told me to post this here as they could not understand why it
> won't work.

Your geometry was probably bad.  Try the following:

1.  Use FDISK and delete the FreeBSD slice.  (yeah, this means
reinstalling)
2.  Create a small DOS partition on the disk.  It doesn't have to be
bootable.
3.  Run the FreeBSD install, removing the DOS partition in the fdisk
editor and creating your FreeBSDslice on top of it.
4.  Install as normal.  For safety create your FreeBSd slice with `future
operating systems' mode.  (Answer YES to the question)