Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:01:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        witr@rwwa.com (Robert Withrow)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

> > The reason I mention this is that I finally got my Internet provider to
> > set me up a static route with a second IP address gatewayed through it.
>
> I was wondering about load balancing several lines?  For example,
> if I could load balance two POTS lines with 28.8 modems, I could
> have the bandwidth of single ISDN at a fraction of the cost.  With
> four lines I could have bonded ISDN performance, again at a fraction
> of the cost.
>
> Does anyone do this.  Can FreeBSD do this?

No.

I was looking at this some odd number of seasons ago to help deal with some
problems I was running into; I never solved the problem using this
technique, instead I got on the far side of a T1  :-)

What I did learn:

1) BSDI has something called "mslip" which is basically what we are
   discussing.
2) With user-level PPP one would think that this might be more feasible
   since you can hack easily...  but I doubt anyone's done this.

If I were to start pursuing this, I might be tempted to start with the
latter  :-)

... Joe