Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:31:03 +0800
From:      Alvin Sim <bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error in building linux-png

From: David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
Date: Monday, July 23, 2001, 01:42:21 AM
Subject: error in building linux-png

Monday, July 23, 2001, 01:42:21 AM, David Banning wrote:
> su-2.03# make install
===>>  Installing for linux-png-1.0.3_1
===>>   linux-png-1.0.3_1 depends on file: /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release - found
> libpng-1.0.3-4.i386.rpm
> old format database is present; use --rebuilddb to generate a new format database
> error: cannot open /compat/linux/var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
> *** Error code 1

> Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/linux-png.

> I've tried using "rpm --rebuilddb" on the rpm file in
> /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm and in

> /usr/compat/linux/var/lib/rpm

> any idea what I can do to getr around this?

i've come across this (same error message(s)) a lot of times when i was
trying to install linux-opera (which depends on linux-png) about 2
months ago. i didnt got around to what causes it and why. but, i did
manage to get linux-opera (and linux-png) to install by pkg_delete'ing
the linux-base and (re-)fetch and make install the new downloaded
linux-base.

try that and see if it helps. if it fails, well, i really dont know :(

g'luck.

--
Alvin bsd140870@yahoo.co.uk