Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 09:03:05 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Fabrizio Invernizzi <Fabrizio.Invernizzi@CSELT.IT>
Cc:        FreeBSD QUESTIONS <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing Postscript file

Fabrizio Invernizzi wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am tring to configure my printer to print postscript files, but I have
> some problems and some questions.
>
> My system configuration:
>
> OS : FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE
> Printer:HP laserjet series II
>
> I edited a filter to resolve the CR/LF and form feed problems
> and I configured /etc/printcap to use this filter .
> With this configuration I have no problem to print ASCII files.
>
> Then I install ghostscript (as my priinter is not a postscript one) to
> translate ps or pdf file , and I use gs with the driver "laserjet" (the
> only one that works with my printer).
> This configuration works, but when I try to print with the line command
> /usr/local/bin/gs -sDEVICE=laserjet -sOutputFile=\|lpr quickguide.pdf
> after some messsages from gs, I obtain
>
> lpr:  : copy file is too large
> Broken pipe

You need to set the mx parameter in /etc/printcap.  This entry
(default 1000 blocks = 500k if not specified) controls the maximum
size of a print job.  See the manual page for printcap for more info.

--
Regards                        |  _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    | /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 98, NT, Linux or better' so I
installed FreeBSD."