Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:41:39 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Manessiwths Giwrgos <george@godzilla.edu.uoc.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NIS Server...

In the last episode (Feb 11), Manessiwths Giwrgos said:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD and I have the following question:
>
> I am trying to set a FreeBSD 4.5 to act as a NIS server and I followed the
> directions from the Handbook. The only thing that I can't understand is
> how the file /var/yp/master.passwd will be updated every time I add a user
> to my NIS master server. I noticed that I can change the location in the
> Makefile but according to the Handbook this is not recomended. Does this
> mean that I have to copy /etc/master.passwd to /var/yp/master.passwd (and
> delete the nologin user accounts) every time I add a user? Or do I just
> point Makefile to use /etc/master.passwd and everything is fine?

According to /var/yp/Makefile:

# seperate from your NIS server's actual configuration files. Note that the
# NIS passwd and master.passwd files are stored in /var/yp: the server's
# real password database is not used by default. However, you may use
# the real /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files by:
#
#
# - invoking yppasswdd with `-t /etc/master.passwd' (yppasswdd will do a
#   'pwd_mkdb' as needed if /etc/master.passwd is thus specified).
# - Specifying the location of the master.passwd file using the
#   MASTER_PASSWD variable, i.e.:
#
#   # make MASTER_PASSWD=/path/to/some/other/master.passwd
#
# - (optionally): editing this Makefile to change the default location.

If the Handbook just says "Don't do it" without giving an explanation,
I'd say "Ignore the Handbook" :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com