Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:45:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "edflecko ." <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible? - FBSD 10 and Apache on CF Soekris?

"edflecko ." <edflecko@gmail.com> writes:

> Andrew: I agree - don't keep a local copy of the source or ports, but how
> do I keep the system patched if I don't do that?

Multiple choices. Binary updates. If you have another FreeBSD system
already, use that to do the builds, and install them on your small
system through packaging or by mounting the build system's disks (via
NFS) on the small system.

>                                                  Would it just be easier to
> buy a larger CF?

That's pretty easy. But if you've already got disk space on other
machines, mounting that isn't much harder, and is certainly cheaper.

>                  Although, from a security perspective, I think it's better
> to not have a copy of source or ports.

For a specific reason, or just a gut feeling? I can imagine some ways in
which it could be true, but they're all based on fairly far-fetched
scenarios.