Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:09:09 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>, rotel@indigo.iey
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

On Jun 29,  8:17pm, Leo Papandreou wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 09:03:22PM +0000, Niall Smart wrote:
> > On Jun 29, 12:34pm, Atipa wrote:
> > } Subject: Re: PPro vs PII

> > > The P2's can use a 440BX chipset, which supports 100MHz Sync DRAM (7ns),
> > > while the best production Pro chipset is the 440NX (Natoma), which
> > > supports only 66MHz EDO (async) DRAM at 60ns. EDO is 200MB/sec, while
> > > 100MHz SDRAM is over 500MB/sec.
>
> AND, PIIs will soon run much larger caches at full speed. Contest over.

At exorbitant prices though, a dual PPro board *with* 2 180/256
chips, uw scsi, intel 10/100 net and sb sound can bve had for ~$320.
Those chips aren't exactly fast, but you can move up to 200/512 if
you like and clock them at 233.  Of course the xeon will whup its
ass, but it doesn't come close on price/performance.  Anyway the
original question I asked was how such a system would compare to
a dual PII 300.

> > Yes, but benchmarks at tomshardware.com have already established
> > that the 100Mhz memory bus offers little improvement over the 66Mhz
[snip]
> Tom benchmarks Windows stuff. Pushing the mouse around some empty
> real estate on a Windows95 screen causes CPU usage to jump past 60%.

Bah, I think the guy knows what he is doing.  If x is faster than
y under NT it should hold for FreeBSD.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk