Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:30:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > * Of course there are minor differences wich can be important depending on
> >   what you want to do, e.g.:
> >   - more commercial software for Linux
> >   - greater popularity of Linux
> >   - file size is still limited to 2 GB with Linux ext2fs
>
> Since version 0.5a of ext2fs it supports 2GB+

Yes - file system size is >2GB but *not* file size! `off_t' is just a long
- and have you an idea how to address more then 2GB with 32 bit? In
FreeBSD as in 4.4BSD off_t is 64 bit!

> >   - Linux scheduling algorithm is poor on high system load
> >     (THUS - to run an internet server I'd prefer FreeBSD!)
>
> Which of the scheduling algorithms do you mean? There are actually three I
> remember now (rr, fifo, other). And there is Linux-rt (realtime support).
> Does FreeBSD have this?

Excuse me - is Linux so confusing? I thought the kernel sources are
uniform. I've seen just one scheduler in the kernel source. Concerning
real time support - I don't know about it in FreeBSD.

> And dont't forget: Linux supports SMP hardware since somewhere in 1.3.x
> days. FreeBSD does not. I read sth that FreeBSD 3.0 might support it...

It will!

> I installed FreeBSD some days ago on one of my machines and I found it
> first a little bit confusing... I searched for the /usr/src/sys tree a
> little bit too long ;)

Depending on one's experience it's question of time to get accustomed to a
system. I need more time to look for something in Linux ...  :-)

> BTW, is there some "nicer" interface for configuring the kernel? While
> compiling the kernel first, I got some undefined references to
> __isa_devtab_cam which were solved with hacking around a little bit
> (#define _ISA_DEVTAB_CAM_NOT_EXTERN)

Hmm - did you copy the GENERIC kernel config file, edit it and run the
config program?

> > * FreeBSD evolved from the BSD branch of UNIX and thus is a UNIX
> >   derivative. Linux started from Tanenbaum's Minix and is a
> >   reimplementation of the UNIX interface.
>
> Linux DID NOT start from Minix. Linux was complety written from scratch.
> You should read the comp.os.minix newsgroup archiv where Tanenbaum and
> Linus started their first argument...

I did not want to say that the Linux contains Minix code - I don't know.
But as far as I know Linus T startet the development of Linux on an Minix
system.

Regards
Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de