Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:18:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, Peter Wemm <peter@FreeBSD.ORG>, Paul Saab <ps@FreeBSD.ORG>, Soeren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm page panic

:	Hi guys,
:
:	ok, sources cvsupped yesterday afternoon, just before my ffs_alloc.c
:	commit [which I did, obviously, add myself locally].
:
:	Box had been running for a while when all of a sudden it got into a
:	panic:
:
:	vm_page_alloc: free/cache page 0xc0776fa4 was dirty
:
:	a trace in ddb shows:
:
:	allocbuf()
:	getblk()
:	ffs_balloc()
:	ffs_write()
:	vn_rdwr()
:	elf_coredump()
:	coredump()

    This particular panic will have a delayed effect, so the trace probably
    isn't the problem.  Something occured some period of time prior that
    caused a (probably cache) page to be marked dirty.  Then later when
    vm_page_alloc() tries to reuse the page it notices that it's dirty when
    it shouldn't be.

    I have not seen this panic literaly for years - there was a bug in
    John Dyson's original code that could cause it but it was fixed a very
    long time ago.  So I'm guessing that the panic is a side effect of a
    newly introduced bug somewhere in current.  Possibly a race of some sort
    with the mutex/threading/interrupt code, but I don't know.

						-Matt