Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:54:36 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License to kill annoying syslog feature?

>While you are on the topic of syslog, I've noticed that if a -current or
>2.2 system dies without a normal graceful shutdown, the next startup's
>syslogd finds /var/run/log and won't bind to the syslog port with a
>'socket already in use' error or similar.  Could /etc/rc safely remove
>/var/run/log cruft ahead of starting syslogd?

/etc/rc used to do that, but was broken in rev.1.89.  The clearing
probably should be done immediately after mounting things.

Bruce

revision 1.89
date: 1996/05/08 09:25:57;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Nuke the nasty cleaning of /var/run after netstart starts - it nukes
gated's pid file, for one thing, and is just generally BAD.