Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:48:15 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can dhclient rely on /dev/random?

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> The obvious fix would alter dhclient to rely only
> on /dev/random for entropy.  (It seems this code is
> common to bind as well.)

The "obvious fix", I think, is to just use the boot time as
the start for the exponential backoff.  The only place this
might be a problem is in a big installation where a lot of
machines come on at the same time.  That's probably going to
melt your building's wiring, anyway.  8-).

> Technical Question: is /dev/random sufficient
> for the cryptographic requirements of programs
> like dhclient, bind, etc?

Uh, what "cryptographic requirements" of dhclient?

-- Terry