Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 21:37:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Hector Samalot <samaloth@n-jcenter.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   atapi and 2.1.7 (was: Re: your mail)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2097, Hector Samalot wrote:

> can use a 2.1.7 boot floppy and then use the 2.1.6 cd room to do the
> installation?  The reason being is that my CDROM is not being detected by
> the 2.1.6 boot floppy.

Then it almost certainly won't be detected by the 2.1.7 boot floppy.
2.1.7 is a bug-fix release, nothing more.  You're far better off trying
it with 2.2, which has better support for ATAPI CD-ROMs.

Have you tried the standard tricks?  That is:

1) make sure your CD-ROM is supported (obvious, I know, I'm just
   including it for completeness)
2) try configuring it as a slave on the primary IDE channel
3) try configuring it as a master on the secondary IDE channel

It's a mystery, as far as I know, but 2) and 3) tend to work.  Best of luck.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."