Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:17:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: More death to nfsiod (workarround)

David E. Cross wrote...
> >      AMD is a rather complex piece of software.  It's creating a situation
> >      that the kernel isn't happy with but I really don't have time to delve
> >      into it ( anyone else care to take a shot at it? ) on top of everything
> >      else I'm doing.  If there is any way you can avoid using AMD, I would
> >      avoid using AMD.
> Late yesterday I was able to determine how amd was mounting the partitions,
> and I was able to replicate it with a hand-mounted filesystem.  I was in the
> process of digging through NFS packets between 2 hosts when I made the
> observation "Hey, this isn't UDP".  I then hand mounted a filesytstem with
> "mount_nfs -2T -r 8192 -w 8192 server:/path /mnt" ran my test, and it failed :)
>
> Since then I have updated AMD to use vers3/UDP for mounts, and guess what, so
> far the problem has not come back.  I have run the test 4 times now, not a
> single failure, and it is *FAST*.  To tickle this you need to have a relatively
> fast connect between the NFS client and server (switched half duplex 10M
> segment was enough to do it, although the primary machine that was having the
> problem was dedicated 100M full-duplex).  I am able to reproduce this with
> relative ease here.
>
> (mount_nfs -3T -r 8192 -w 8192 ... also seemed to work)

Yeah, I upgraded a number of machines (30+) to -stable about 10 days ago,
and was irritated to discover that AMD defaulted to TCP mounts.

I put proto=udp in the amd configuration files, and things got back to
normal.  I had some hang problems with TCP mounts under amd, but that may
have also been because of a routing problem I fixed at the same time that
I changed from TCP mounts to UDP.

And, I'll have to say that NFS is much better than it has been in the past.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com