Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 96 21:49:15 -0800
From:      "Eric Kylstra" <erick@accessone.com>
To:        "questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install errors with FreeBSD 2.1.5.  Help!

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 from CDROM.  I get through the
setup and it tries to create the slices on my hard drives.  The swap
file on my second drive will get created, but when FreeBSD attempts to
set up on the 1st drive it bombs with "Unable to make device node for
/dev/rwd0a in /dev!"

My machine is a P100, 32MB RAM, 2 1.2GB hard drives on the 1st IDE, a
4X CDROM on the 2nd, and a floppy tape drive (Colorado 700).

A bit more detail on my steps:  If I use the boot disk I can't get the
darn thing to recognise my IDE CD-ROM.  If I use the install batch from
DOS it will see the CD, but when it tries to put in the slices I tell
it to it will only put in the stuff on the 2nd hard drive.  I have been
trying to set it up to use a 100MB slice for a swap file on the 2nd
hard drive.  On the 1st hard drive I'm trying for the /, /var, and /usr
slices on a 250MB section I cleared out toward the front of the drive.
It bombs if I set it to be bootable (the s option when setting up the
slices) or not.  I have boot manager for OS/2 (ver. 3) in the 1st 1MB
of the
hard drive that starts up my different operating systems.   When the
FreeBSD bombs it messes up the boot manager just like win95 does.
Deleting the boot manager partition and putting it back clears up the
problem just as it does for win95.  Since I have the OS/2 boot manager
I tell FreeBSD to not install its own manager or master boot record.

Any ideas?  Where did I screw this thing up!  Thanks for any help.

Eric Kylstra
erick@accessone.com