Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 14:06:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, compland@ism.com.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure NFS

> >> Is it possible to set portmon variable, like in SunOS, in Freebsd to
> >> watch out the NFS mounts, forcing the request to come from a privileged port ?
> >> It's possible to set secure NFS in Freebsd ?
>
> > This is the default.  You must use -n to disable it (man mountd).
>
> Of course, this really has nothing to do with security, it's just a
> stupid restriction on Sun's part to paper over the fact that standard
> NFS isn't secure.

It's more secure in the sense that vouchsafe authentication is more
secure than not having passwords at all.

The question is in how you define, firewall, and administer vouchsafe
secure zones.  It is *possible* to do this in a reasonable way, even
if many of us dislike the idea because the typical administrator does
not have enough experience to do it correctly.

It is a tightrope, and it is possible to walk a tightrope, but few
people can do it correctly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---