Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 22:12:06 -0500
From:      "DSCC Customer Liaison" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware:  Seagate ST238

This is not on topic for the list, but I'm running out of places to
look and you folks are experts at "odd" problems.

A Missionary just returned to the U.S after 3 1/2 years overseas (to
retain his U.S. citizenship).  When he departed, he took an 80286
computer with him which had an ST238 Harddrive.

It wasn't worth the expense to bring the computer back with him, but
he removed the drive and brought it back.  Now he wants me to get the
data off it and onto an IDE drive.

Does anybody know how I can go about getting the data off this drive?
 Can I do it without a controller card?  Is it an RLL drive (it
doesn't say ST238R, just ST238).  Where can I borrow a card (I'll
just trash it after I get the data off, so I don't want to spend a
fortune).

I've got an old MFM card, can I use that?

---Mike