Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 13:52:08 +0000
From:      "Brian Candler" <B.Candler@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot problem

> > Boot:   {here I hit Enter}
> > |

> Wild guess; You have a Promise 2300 EIDE controller? There are known
> problems with this controller, but I don't think an easy fix is
> possible as it involves disabling the cards BIOS. I'm not even sure if
> anyone has figured out WHY the BIOS boot loader hangs ... it
> shouldn't.

I disabled the on-board BIOS (changed JP3 from 111 to 000) and FreeBSD
booted fine - but then Windows 95 didn't!! Might that be because the W95
partition is the last 500MB of a 1.2GB disk, and hence W95's boot block is
not in the first 504MB? (The Promise BIOS was able to cope with that,
though)

Is this a mess, or what?! :-{

Brian.