Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:13:07 +0200
From:      "Sebastian Pahlke" <sp.ibm@gmx.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dd is so slow on my SCSI disc

Hi all,

I'm trying to "clean" a disc before selling them:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0

Do I make something wrong because the transfer rate is only 60932
bytes/sec??? These are 60 kbytes/sec, slower than my internet connection!!!
:(

I tried to increase the block size, with bs=32768 I get 3416071 bytes/sec.
But this is still very poor. The system is a PIII 800MHz and a SCSI-3 disc
in single user mode booted from FreeBSD release 5.4 live-cd.

Any ideas how to analyze this? Thanks in advance!

greetings,

Sebastian Pahlke